Monday 16 July 2012

Spinning

A few weeks back I decide I was going to learn to spin my own yarn.  No easy feat, I might say. I looked at several options and ideas. Hubby and I decided that a spinning wheel was out as we have been running out of space here so I opted for a drop spindle.
There are 2 kinds of these as well. A top whorl or bottom whorl.
Sadly, no where in town had these. So off to ebay and esty and I was able to get a drop spindle and some roving from a shop in Sydney. The roving is hemp which is a little coarse but has been a great learn tool. I also found out the you don't just take the yarn of the spindle and use it. You have to set the curl/ twist. With the hemp I have been dunking it in hot water for about 5-10 mins and then drying it vertical with some coat hangers to weight it down.

Next part will be dying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment